www.LindaSinish.com

www.LindaSinish.com
I hope you will come see my newly remodeled website and all of it's new pictures. As of, February 2015 there are still a few more adjustments, but I'd love for you to
be one of the firsts to see it's new look. www.LindaSinish.com

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Intention and I'm DONE With Spring / Summer Fairs

Today's message is 'intention'.  From now on I will always ask 'What is the intention of the people in the environment.' There is a lot written about the power of intention, but it usually speaks of our personal intention.  For example, my intention at a fair is to make profit.  But, the writers and philosophers and motivational speakers/writers haven't communicated (to me) that intention is a two way street.  Those people that surround you and are part of your life, those people have an intention.  So, they too are working towards a goal.  Getting into their thoughts and figuring out what their intention or goal is will help us/me to get to my intention or goal.  The bottom line is my intention was out numbered during these fairs (below). There was a lot of  'lets have fun' intention out numbering my 'lets make sales' intention.


Who's intention is bigger?

The writing was on the walls!  If only I had looked!  I try my best to be positive with my blog posts.  I write them to lift up and to enlighten those of you who want to read along, as well as my personal journal. However, life in the jewelry business world isn't always positive.  Sometimes a learning curve can't be read about or heard about, sometimes it needs to be experienced.  Psst psst...get that sour taste out of my mouth!

Before I rant, I want to express that I wasn't alone in the lack of sales and profits.  All of the other vendors that I spoke with had the same unsuccessful experiences.  If I hadn't spoken to these lovely people, I might have succumb to the belief that my jewelry is bad and not desirable.

Leesburg Spring Fling, March 1, 2014

On March 1st I did an indoor fair at the Ida Lee Parks and Recreation facility in Leesburg, VA.  I made enough sales to cover the cost of my booth space ($150), the gas and mileage on my vehicle and the materials I used for the jewelry that was sold.  I lost the money for my labor time to make everything, the time for setup and breakdown, etc. There were thousands of people.  Sounds good, right!  Wrong!  They were window shopping.  Let's face it, we were barely out of February a very cold and snowy month. Folks had cabin fever and just needed a place to go that was warm, dry and out of the house.

Warrenton Spring Festival, May 17, 2014

On May 17th I set my tent and booth up on the street for the Warrenton, VA annual Spring Festival.  Again, I made enough sales to cover the cost of my booth space ($145), and the materials for the jewelry I sold. My labor time was lost.  Again, there were thousands of people.  There was good music in the air, laughter in my ears, friends visited me in my tent.  I had fun!  But, went away putting a lot of work into this event for no profits.

Warrenton Spring Festival, May 17, 2014

Last night, June 6th.  I participated in Warrenton, VA 1st Friday event.  These are held the 1st Friday of each month through October.  The main street is completely closed off to traffic.  There is live music.  The shops and restaurants open their doors.  Tents line the streets.  The cost is reasonable at $20.  But, even that was not recovered in sales.  Nope!  Not one sale!  People were there to have fun.  To celebrate the end of a work week and the beginning of a weekend.  They wanted to eat, drink and be merry.  And that my friends is what they did.  So I won't be doing any more 1st Friday events!


Of course I am not giving up.  My jewelry has proven to sell and to sell well.  It's all about (wait for it!) Location! Location! Location!  And with location comes the right time!  And most importantly the shoppers must have the spending intention! So I will continue to stock the shelves and sell in the galleries and museums and gift shops.  People go to these places with the intention of buying.  And, I will fill my inventory for those with the intention of shopping during the fall shopping season and of course my Etsy shop.

Thank you for reading along.  I'm going outside to enjoy this remarkable day that is full of sunshine, a light breeze and a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

Have a joy filled and creative day,

Linda
Getty Up!


4 comments:

  1. I came to the same conclusion over a year ago. I realized that in addition to the expense of making, hauling, setting up, breaking down - I have to have a tent, tables, displays, chair, cash box, credit card system etc.... there are very few shows where I showed enough profit to justify the time and expense.
    I wonder if it would be worth it to share space with several artists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, You have made some very good points. I consider my booth setup as an initial investment, but I expect to recoop my show expenses and get paid. I have done several profitable shows. They do exist. It is a made busy time making most of our money during the last 3 months of each year. Then we all get to sleep the entire month of January...giggle. Good luck and keep turning over rocks until you find your profitable path. It's there, it's just in the spring/summer for me. I wish you much success.

      Delete
  2. Linda, I have to confess, I'm usually just a lurker, enjoying the pictures of your lovely handmade jewelry. I don't usually read your text. But this post got my attention with the 2 quotes. I too have experienced several time and money wasting events. I so appreciate you sharing, because I too have felt like my work just isn't good enough to sell. Turns out, my jewelry is too good to sell, that is at the street fairs and such. I never took into account the attendees' intention other than wanting to buy cheap mass produced junk at these venues. They're also there, as you say, to eat, drink and be merry, an escape from the doldrums of their everyday life. You sharing has helped to reinforce my decision not to waste time at such events and to put my energy toward my intention of profit where others' intention is to purchase nice quality jewelry, for themselves or as gifts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fellow Lurker, Yes, I too, have been know to blog hop for the pictures. But, then I want more and 'usually' begin to read the story behind the pictures. I am grateful that my experience has reached you and hopefully helped you. The correct venue is important, as learned. There are a lot of profitable fairs. I believe they are usually associated with holiday shoppers. Those shoppers who want something special for their gift(s). I have several that I will continue to sell at, because they were/are profitable. Then the others that I will avoid like the plaque. My favorite selling venues are galleries or museums that have tourists as their main source of traffic. These folks usually want to take a memory home with them in the form of something well hand crafted. Good luck to you Michelle. I know success surrounds you.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind words. I'll answer any of your questions very soon. Linda