www.LindaSinish.com

www.LindaSinish.com
I hope you will come see my newly remodeled website and all of it's new pictures. As of, February 2015 there are still a few more adjustments, but I'd love for you to
be one of the firsts to see it's new look. www.LindaSinish.com

Monday, June 24, 2013

Necklace Design Frustration

I've been making new necklaces for the Buxton & Landstreet Gallery & Studios.  They have recently re-opened with a new name and new management.  I am excited to be one of the artisans of this beautiful venue.  I have decided to create all new designs for them.

 
This necklace came together rather easily, once I figured out the technique.  The book 'Making Wire Jewelry'  has vague drawings and not photographs and lots of words.  So I had to translate many words into pictures in my head in-order to understand how to get this design to work out.  Once I did one link the rest were easy.


The tutorial for this necklace is from the book 'Spotlight on Wire'.
 
 
As you can see from the bags of stones, I do love Crazy Lace Agate.  The frustration comes to light when most of the stones in the bag have glaring imperfections.  Of course, natural stones are to be expected to have these, but guess what!?  Customers don't expect them.  So, before I could go any further with this necklace I had to discard about half of my stones.  So sad.  Here I have chosen the stones I will use in this necklace.  Above them are the links I have made, along with the clasp.

 
Here I have laid out the links with the best of the stones, so I can see if I like the design.  I was thinking and deciding whether 3 of the round components were the right amount or if I wanted to increase them to 5 components.  Decisions, decision.

 
This lovely necklace really frustrated me, but I stuck with it and with determination I finally figured it out.  The design came from the book 'Making Wire Jewelry', that I ultimately changed almost completely.  The original design called for coiled links where I have the 3 crystal links.  Try as I might, I just couldn't get the coiled link to look the way I wanted.  So the 3 crystal link was created.  Then it just didn't want to fit inside of the silver curve.  The curve had to be adjusted a bit and a lot of determination was mustard up to get the loops to fit.

 
After I had the necklace completed and tumbled I just wasn't satisfied.  I thought it looked 'raw'.  I had 2 extra links on the work table and decided to hammer one of the silver wire curves.  I liked what I saw, so I hammered all of the silver curves on the finished necklace.  Of course this is not what you should do, after all I had work hardened the wire in the tumbler, so there was some extra effort needed, plus I had to be extra careful to avoid the crystals coming into contact with the hammer.
 
 
Now I need to clean up my work table.
 
Thank you for stopping by.  I'll be making bracelets for my next blog post.
 
 
Have a joy filled and creative day. ~ Linda
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I'll answer any of your questions very soon. Linda