www.LindaSinish.com

www.LindaSinish.com
I hope you will come see my newly remodeled website and all of it's new pictures. As of, February 2015 there are still a few more adjustments, but I'd love for you to
be one of the firsts to see it's new look. www.LindaSinish.com

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Butterfly Wing Earring Tutorial

I have added 'Wire Jewelry Masterclass' by Abby Hook to my library.  One of my favorite designs and tutorials is her butterfly wing earrings.  While I was recreating her design I cut my wire incorrectly and that caused the design to be changed.  But, I really like it, so I have decided to record the new tweaks here.  I plan on making addition pairs of these earrings and changing the beads or crystals to give them different personality.

Materials:
18 gauge copper wire
24 gauge copper wire

Tools
Small Rap And Tap, stepper pliers - optional
Sharpie pen
Chain nose pliers
Hammer
Bench block
Sand bag or folded towel


Since it was late when I wanted to shoot these pictures, I needed to be inside using over head lighting.  Not the best pictures, but clear.

 
Flush cut 3 1/2" of 18 guage copper wire
 
 
At 3 1/4" from the tip of the wire, make a mark with the Sharpie
 
 
Make a 90 degree bend at the 1 1/4" mark, using your chain nose pliers
 
 
Using the small mandrel of the small Rap and Tap pliers make a loop on both ends of the wire
 
 
Using the chain nose pliers to secure and hold the small loop on the 1 1/4" end, make a partial open spiral.  The space of the new portion of the open spiral should be about the same as the beginning loop.  The beginning loop will end up with the tip of thewire facing upward and near 11 o'clock.  This wire will also be touching the long staight wire.  The final form will look like half a heart.
 
 
Turn the form upside down (upside down 1/2 heart) and make an open spiral.  The space in the new section of this open spiral is about the same as the beginning loop.  You may need to use your fingers to adjust this open spiral so it touches the top open spiral wire.  This botton open spiral will not touch the straight wire on the left.  There will be some space between the straight wire and the open spiral.  This will make the bottom open spiral sit out more than the top open spiral.
 
 
 
Using the flat side of the hammer, flatten and work harden this frame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I'll answer any of your questions very soon. Linda