Facebook.com/LindaSinishJewelryArtisan

I'VE MOVED ! Facebook.com/LindaSinishJewelryArtisan
I hope you will come see me and my new place to post updates and pictures at Facebook.com/LindaSinishJewelryArtisan

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tutorial for Crossed Hoop Earrings

I first learned to make these earrings from a tutorial by Denise Peck in her book "Wire Style"  I love this book and would suggest that you check it out.


The other day I was working at the WV Highland Artisan Gallery and a customer was looking for a mate to an earring she lost.  It turned out it was one of my earrings.  I opened my laptop and began helping her to identify it in my earring photo file and it turned out to be the crossed hoop earrings.  I promised the lady that I would make a replacement pair for her.  Then began my thinking.  So I pulled out the tutorial by Denise Peck.  As I was making the earrings I decided to take some pictures of each step in the process.  Those extra pictures always help me when I need to recreate a piece of jewelry.

Since I was going to write a tutorial for myself, with extra pictures, I thought that I'd post them here, just in case it would be helpful to someone else.

Materials:
16 gauge copper wire, but silver looks terrific, too.
2 ear wires

Tools:
Heavy duty flush cutters
1" diameter dowel, or find this spot on a ring mandrel.
Hammer
Bench block
File
Small stepper pliers (I used the center step or use a 3 1/2 mm mandrel)
Chain nose pliers
Flat nose pliers

 
Flush cut a 4" length of 16 gauge wire.
 

Form most of the wire around the 1" mandrel, but do not bend the top portion.  Have the ends of the wire touch each other to form a tear drop.
 
 
Place the tear drop on the bench block.  Hold the ends of the wire together to keep the tear drop shape.  Hammer the entire wire, lightly to work harden and so the wire will keep the tear drop shape.
 
Now hammer both sides again, this time to flatten the wire a bit.  Hammer just the ends a little extra to give the ends a flared appearance.
 
 
Put the tear drop back onto the 1" mandrel.  Using your fingers, cross the top wires so they are equal on each side and the inner wire touches the mandrel to form a complete circle.
 
 
Put this form back on the bench block. Using your finger, hold the crossed section secure, to help keep the shape.  Use the rounded part of the hammer to add texture to the bottom 80% of the loop.  This step is optional, but I like the added texture and it only takes a few seconds.
 

Use some 16 Gauge wire to make some 3 1/2 mm size jump rings, by using the center step of the small stepper, or find the right spot on your round nose pliers.
 
I like to hammer my jump rings for appearance and to add some extra hardness.
 
 
Add 2 jump rings to the crossed section. File the bare wire ends to remove the sharpness.
 
 
I like to patina my copper, using liver of sulphur.  This makes the orange wire turn black, then I use 0000 steel wool to polish the wire to a warm brown.
 
You may need to tweak the crossed ends to make sure they are even and shaped the way you want.  Then add the ear wires.
 

I want to thank Denise Peck for her wonderful design and for sharing her tutorial in her book "Wire Style".  It's one of my favorite books and I refer to it often.
 
And, as always, thank you for stopping by and checking out my blog.  I hope that you have enjoyed this tutorial and will have fun making your own pair of earrings.
 
Have a joy filled and creative day,  Linda



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I cannot wait to try it. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words. I'll answer any of your questions very soon. Linda