www.LindaSinish.com

www.LindaSinish.com
I hope you will come see my newly remodeled website and all of it's new pictures. As of, February 2015 there are still a few more adjustments, but I'd love for you to
be one of the firsts to see it's new look. www.LindaSinish.com

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lights Out On The Mountain

The electricity went out last night - again!  I am adjusting to my new environment and life style here in the Appalachian Mountains.  The power goes out frequently and for extended periods of time.  It's not that electric company is doing anything wrong.  It's nature.  Lots and lots of nature.  A tree or branch can fall on a power line deep in the forest. Yes, my home is surrounded by the Monongahela National Forest.  So it takes the power crews some time to locate the source.  In the meantime, plan B is used with battery powered lamps.  If it takes too long to be restored and the house gets a chill, I need to setup the propane heater.


I was sitting on the living room floor with my portable studio, listening to the television.  When silence and complete darkness filled the room.  It was startling!  I was engrossed in wire wrapping.  I was in a Zen moment.  When it goes dark here, it goes really dark.  There aren't other lite communities to spread a bit of light, no major highways with car lights.  Even the stars and the moon were hidden behind snow clouds.  So I walked, carefully, to my night stand where I keep one of my battery lamps, then gathered up a couple more lights and went back to wire wrapping.

I found humor in my obsession and went for the camera.  I really didn't think I would be able to capture a picture, but I am surprised.  Here's where I play when I'm not in the actual studio.

I've been reading my blogger friends posts and they have been showing their work areas and thought I'd join in and describe what is going on in last nights work space.  In the below picture I used the flash, so it's a bit clearer.


Here's how I work at my portable studio, aka serving tray.  The tray keeps 'most' of the wire and beads from taking up housing on my floor.  Here I've added 3 battery powered lamps, which were not enough light to work well.  Talk about working in the dark!  A glass of orange juice, because I'm encouraging a cold to leave my body.  In the tray is part of a plastic card that I use to slide between coils to open them for cutting; then split ring pliers with red handles, that are used for the same purpose; orange handled heavy duty wire cutters for 16 gauge and thicker wire; blue Lindstrom chain nose for just about everything; black fine point sharpie for marking pliers to make consistent size loops; under these are black handled small step pliers for tiny loops; blue handled flush cutters for 18 gauge and smaller wire; under them are red handled flat nose pliers for a second pair of hands and my U turn loops; red and black handled short round nose pliers for loops; in front of these is a 6" metal ruler, a must for measuring wire; on the edge is about a pound of 20 gauge copper wire; and my head piece thingy, oh, so attractive! So I can see those tiny details.  In the tray are some successes and failures.  I was experimenting, err designing, a pair of large loop earrings.  In my head they are wonderful.  In reality - not so much!  There are some coils of wire that have some jump rings cut and ready.  There are many spirals of different sizes and gauges of wire.  I finally made a decision on the size and they are being made into linked earrings.  I like these and will have a picture for you soon.

Yes, the lights came on in about two hours, but by then I had put down the wire and picked up a novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I'll answer any of your questions very soon. Linda