www.LindaSinish.com

www.LindaSinish.com
I hope you will come see my newly remodeled website and all of it's new pictures. As of, February 2015 there are still a few more adjustments, but I'd love for you to
be one of the firsts to see it's new look. www.LindaSinish.com

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Linda Sinish My Trip To Blog Land

My journey into the land of hand crafted jewelry took me by surprise. In another lifetime I was married to an artist. I would listen to him speak with such passion about art and art history. I would watch as he would magically create a canvas from paint and his imagination. I would walk miles and miles in galleries and museums and stare endlessly at masterpieces wondering how and sometimes why it was created. But never was I inspired to pick up a brush or be artistic. Until that fateful day years after the marriage had dissolved.

My friend Nina is an artist. She works with oils and acrylics on canvas. She and I went on an art supply shopping spree. We drove down the highway to Pearl Art Supply so she could find that perfect tube of paint. That’s when it happened. Pearl was having a sidewalk sale. Wonderful tubes of paint for next to nothing in price. I was possessed. I said to my friend “If I buy this, will you show me how to paint?” Well, that opened a can of worms. She is a wonderful and very patient teacher. After her lessons in my home we then enrolled in some Bob Ross classes. I really was in love with painting and the Bob Ross technique took a hold of me. Nina and I ventured to the great out doors for plein air painting. I love all the landscapes and nature settings it offers. This period in my life lasted for a few years. I decided that I enjoy painting, but none of my canvases are worthy of my living room wall. So they hang in my studio. Yes, I do still pick up a paint brush and the rest of my gear and trek to the great outdoors to paint. Sometimes an insect lands on my canvas and it becomes a bird.

One day while in the local arts and crafts store I saw and enrolled in a class for jewelry making. Here I learned the basics of bead stringing and some design. I continued to take classes there until I felt I had learned all that was offered at this store. I then started to buy teaching CDs and books. I just couldn’t get enough. When I looked at the sterling silver accent beads I kept thinking that I could make something, if only I knew how. The web had lots of examples, so I knew I was onto something, but where and how was I going to learn. I began to buy wire and tools and experimented. I have wasted a lot of wire in my learning quest. I have bought wire that I doubt I will ever use because it is the wrong material or quality. Lessons were learned. Some of these lessons were expensive.

One day I was browsing the community center class catalog. I thought maybe I’d take another basic jewelry class just to get involved in a group and to have something to do, another boredom decision. When I opened the catalog I was happily surprised to find wire wrapping being offered by Jeanette Blix. I enrolled in every class she was offering. I continue to take classes with Jeanette. She is a wonderful teacher and her love of the art is obvious with her teaching and her jewelry.

Over time my art has and continues to develop. The studio has evolved. Students now attend classes that I teach. My jewelry is sold and worn by people I don’t know. I am flattered and grateful. And now a web-site and blog is developed. All this started with a sidewalk sale of tubes of paint.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Linda....thanks for sharing your artistic journey! Isn't it amazing, we've all been touched by meeting Jeanette! And I hope we're all reunited in September! :-) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words. I'll answer any of your questions very soon. Linda