www.LindaSinish.com

www.LindaSinish.com
I hope you will come see my newly remodeled website and all of it's new pictures. As of, February 2015 there are still a few more adjustments, but I'd love for you to
be one of the firsts to see it's new look. www.LindaSinish.com

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Wire Links

I admire those talented wire jewelry artist that excel with the wire links that connect the main components or beads. Those many, and often small, links may be the co-stars of a piece of jewelry, as the eye is drawn to a remarkable focal area, but without links the jewelry doesn't stand a chance.

I decided it was time to practice a few of those wonderful co-stars. I started out with the 'easy link' that is in Sharilyn Millers book "Bead on a Wire" page 40. The first few were less than successful. In fact they were frustrating. The wire was measured as Sharilyn instructed, but when the second loop was formed, there wasn't enough wire. I puzzeled and fretted, wondering what went wrong. Another length of wire was cut, because I thought, I must have cut the first to short. The second, third, forth, well you get the idea, they failed. Then I reread the instructions and realized that 2 round nose pliers of different sizes are used to form the 'easy link'. This allows one loop to be larger and one smaller. Whew! Once I figured this out I was on my way and made a few dozen links.

The second link is the 'quad-loop', from the book "Complete Guide to Making Wire Jewelry" by Art Jewelry Books, page 31. I prefer to call it the clover leaf. At first it would appear to be as easy as making 4 loops. Well, that's true with the exception of the word easy. As you can see from the picture my first attempts are not ready for prime time. I decided to post this picture with my failures, because I haven't found a student of wire jewelry to be perfect the first time out the gate. As you can see, some don't lay flat and many of the wires need to be cut shorter and neatened up. It's interesting how I didn't notice these very loud imperfections until the picture was posted. I'll practice this link a few dozen times until I am comfortable with the results. Then maybe it will be time to put them into a design.