Facebook.com/LindaSinishJewelryArtisan

I'VE MOVED ! Facebook.com/LindaSinishJewelryArtisan
I hope you will come see me and my new place to post updates and pictures at Facebook.com/LindaSinishJewelryArtisan

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Oakland Maryland and the Arts

This past weekend I had a fantastic time with my friends as we explored the sites in and near Oakland, MD. The road trip had a specific goal for me. I am considering Oakland to be my future home town in the next few years. I'm in the process of what I call 'research and development'. First, I need to absolutely love the town. Second, there must be art, especially 3 dimensional jewelry.

There is so much art. I had a terrific time looking. There are a few sources, but the most impressive is the Garrett County Council for the Arts. They have a gallery in town with many works of art hung on the walls; oil, acrylics, water colors, pencil and metal hanging sculptures. The counters and displays were full of glass, wood and my favorite cold connected wire jewelry. Here's their link http://www.garrettarts.com/index.html

The area is also the home of Spruce Forest, http://spruceforest.org/ with its many artists and their studios. Unfortunately for me, but lucky for them, the studios are closed on Sundays, so I couldn't visit them. But they are the very first item on my list for my next visit to the Appalachian Mountains. Some of the art that is offered includes painting, metal sculpturing, wood working, print making and yes indeed, cold connection jewelry.

Here I am checking out the Historical Society Museum. No jewelry to be found, but there is a lot of historic artifacts and history of the region. However, I am wearing all handcrafted jewelry so that counts for something.